PREP: 10 MINS | COOK: 70 MINS | SERVES: 10
What you’ll need…
- 4 small (about 400g) mandarins, unpeeled
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 220g almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water (optional)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Put the whole mandarins in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 45 minutes or until tender when tested with a skewer, topping up water as necessary. Drain, cool to room temperature, cut in half and remove any pips.
- Preheat oven to 160°C and line the base of a lightly greased 20cm springform cake pan with baking paper.
- Blend the cooled mandarins, eggs and sugar in a food processor until well combined. Add the almond meal, baking powder and orange blossom water (if using) and pulse until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.